Hello Mountain Families,
While the end of summer vacation in early August always brings a tear to this backpacker's eye, I'm also very eager to see the 6th graders and get started with the new school year. I hope you have all had a fantastic summer, and I can't wait to hear about your many adventures.
Sixth grade at Mountain is awesome for so many reasons. The rigorous middle school content will keep kids engaged and challenged every day. The small class size means every student will have plenty of individualized attention. We have great field trips, highlighted by a full week of Outdoor Science School. The support staff here is amazing, and your student will once again receive a well-rounded education that includes art, music, PE and the 6th grade play. Leadership opportunities include Student Council, lunch service, and special campus projects. Finally, and definitely not least, is that you are giving your kids another year to just be kids!
Here are some of the ways you as parents can ensure your child's success this year.
1. On-time attendance is very important. Structured routines help guide students through the potentially traumatic changes that come with the onset of adolescence. This starts at the beginning of the day. Students who arrive late often have trouble getting caught up, and they also don't like the extra attention that going to Sharon for a tardy slip brings with it. We start the day with a homework check, and students who arrive after this have to stay at the start of recess to make this up.
2. Absences will happen, and they are part of life, but missed work must be made up for credit. A neighbor in class will keep track of assignments and worksheets for the absent student to make this easier. Special consideration will of course be given with reasonable explanation.
3. Homework will start Monday, August 14th. The 4-night routine will consist of reading and getting a reading log signed (only after the reading is completed please), a math worksheet, and a planner signature. I believe it is the student's responsibility to keep track of and complete their own assignments, and the daily signatures and planner check should be used as a way to make sure everything is done while keeping parents in the loop about assignments in the classroom.
4. I will share our Weekly Schedule with everyone as soon as the moving pieces are finalized. Potential parent volunteers can take a look and contact me if you have an idea where you'd like to fit in.
5. We will need at least 4 drivers for our field trips, beginning with Outdoor Science School, 9/25-9/29. Please get necessary fingerprints and forms submitted to Sharon ASAP.
6. Birthdays... Let me know (when the time comes) if you plan to bring in a treat for the whole class. Also please let me know about food allergies so we can be aware and accommodate.
7. Creek Day! I need final approval, but I'm looking at the afternoon of Thursday, 8/17 from about 12:50-2:30 if you would like to chaperone. 1 or 2 extra adults are appreciated down there so we can spread out, but all are welcome.
8. Almost there.... We officially start play practice for Theseus and the Minotaur on Tuesday, September 5th, but I want to share songs and scripts and get started in class well before that. We always, always need extra help with set and costume design. Please let me know how you would like to be involved! The actual performances are 9/21 and 9/22 so you can start to make arrangements.
9. Supplies!! I keep it basic with the emphasis being on student organization. We don't have desks in 6th grade, we have tables, and the only things I let students keep on the table at the end of the day is their pencil box. So while I require students to bring a binder with them to school every day, it should be small enough to comfortably fit in the backpack. I provide the students with composition books for Math, Writing, and Reading/Listening.
Alright, that's it! I'm sure I'm forgetting something, which I try not to do, but it always happens anyway. So please excuse in advance all the little PS emails you'll be receiving in the near future.
Let me know if you have any questions! I'm here to make this the best year possible for everyone!